News | Events
Hospital Hitz 2019 features the beautiful voices of children at the Hospital singing their favourite songs in a compilation CD that is perfect for Christmas. Music Therapists Miriam Cromie, Roxanne McLeod and Ivy Wallace produced the recordings, using editing software to mix and master tracks, to create an upbeat disc that is fun to listen to.
"The CDs are made up of songs recorded in music therapy sessions where the patient and their families would like to be involved," said Miriam.
Cover art for the CD, featuring Santa on a sunny day, was created by Bradley, a 12-year-old patient. Production of the discs continues a tradition established over a decade ago at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead of patients creating a CD to be shared.
Oncology patients sing two-thirds of the tracks on this year’s disc which can be purchased for $5 at the Oncology reception desk, Camperdown and Variety Wards and the Volunteers’ Shop.
Most of the funds raised will go towards the cost of producing the discs which includes the CDs, plastic cases, printing, and duplication and the remainder will help buy instruments to use with patients.
Occasionally, very soft beeps and voices may be heard in the background of songs which are a small reminder that the recording studio is a hospital, transformed into a fun environment by the music therapists, for the children to showcase their talents and share their joy of music.
Different versions of songs on the CD arose due to their popularity and because they were the songs the singers loved most.
Have a sing-along with the 30 songs on the disc which are:
- A Whole New World – Kiara 4 yrs & Mum
- Old McDonald had a Farm - Haripriya 5 yrs & OTC friends
- Five Little Ducks - Beren 5 yrs
- The Banana Song - Anella 10 yrs
- Paw Patrol - Mackenzie 4 yrs
- Austin Has a Sound (+ Incy Wincy Spider) - Austin 4 mths
- Pokemon - Milla 6 yrs
- Baa Baa Black Sheep - Rakshitha 5 yrs
- Ode to Joy - JP 9 yrs
- 5 Cheeky Monkeys - Harry 4 yrs
- Mary had a Little Lamb - Rakshitha 5 yrs
- Baby Shark - Bilal 2 yrs
- Twinkle Twinkle - Haripriya 5 yrs
- 5 Cheeky Monkeys - Abdallah 4 yrs
- Pussy Cat - Dhanvi 7 yrs
- Speechless – Kiara 4 yrs & Mum
- Super Cyto-toxic - Junayd 10 yrs
- Drumming Jam - JP 9 yrs
- The Wheels on the Bus - Mackenzie 4 yrs
- Do You Want to Build a Snowman - Emily 4 yrs
- Twinkle Twinkle - Beren 5 yrs
- A Soothing Song - Junayd 10 yrs, Bella 5 yrs & OTC friends
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - JP 9 yrs (Bells & Drum)
- Johnny Johnny - Maddison 2 yrs
- Ants Go Marching - Georgia 7 yrs
- Twinkle Twinkle - Emily 4 yrs
- Baby Shark - Karim 6 yrs
- Trouble - Bradley 12 yrs (keyboard)
- In the Jungle - Amani 11 yrs
- Twinkle Twinkle - Dhanvi 7 yrs
Children who were featured were excited to hear their voices on the CD, and their parents were keen to share it with relatives at Christmas time. Thanks to them, and their talented music therapists, we can all enjoy their beautiful music.